[Ansteorra-rapier] Pros and Cons of change

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Oct 15 05:34:35 PDT 2012

Good Morning,

  We’ve given the discussion about five days now including a weekend and
there appear to be no knew arguments for or against. Based off of that, I’m
going to try to succinctly articulate the Pros and Cons of this change. To
revisit, the proposed change was:

Ansteorra convention: Except under the Youth Rapier Program, Light Rapier is
to be eliminated within the borders of Ansteorra effective March 17th, 2013.
After that date, Light Rapier blades can only be used with variances
obtained in writing from the Kingdom Rapier Marshal at least 30 days in
advance such as for historical SCA theme events. Ansteorra’s Rapier
authorizations permit use of Light Rapier blades at out of Kingdom events
where allowed.

Some individuals have suggested it be reworded as such:

Ansteorra convention: Except under the Youth Rapier Program, Light Rapier is
to be eliminated outside of training within the borders of Ansteorra
effective March 17th, 2013. After that date, Light Rapier blades can only be
used with variances obtained in writing from the Kingdom Rapier Marshal at
least 30 days in advance such as for historical SCA theme events.
Ansteorra’s Rapier authorizations permit use of Light Rapier blades at out
of Kingdom events where allowed.

·         Cons:

o   The blades are allowed by Society and have not been proven to be unsafe
so we need to allow them.

o   It eliminates part of our origins within SCA Fencing.

o   It is exclusionary of those who prefer lighter weight blades.

o   It eliminates an option for those who are physically unable to use
heavier blades.

·         Pros:

o   The blades are statistically non-existent comparing the possibly 10s of
bouts to the 1000s of bouts per year.

o   Heavy blades are more historically accurate than light blades.

o   A significant majority of the SCA kingdoms as well as most inter-kingdom
wars have gone to heavy blades only.

o   The enforcement of the regulations around the lighter blades is lax at
best creating a risk point.

§  Combatants being authorized without having shown to be safe.

§  Marshals being authorized without knowing how to inspect the equipment.

o   Light blades break more frequently than heavy blades elevating the risk
due to lax enforcement.

  Please let me know right away if I misrepresented any of the above or
missed a significant Pro or Con.

  There were several side discussions, but I think these were the ones that
spoke directly to the proposal.

In Service,

Pug