[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

David Cordes david.cordes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:36:13 PDT 2012

Just to play Advocatus Diaboli, this suggests to me that the fault
then lies on those Authorizing Marshals who are authorizing people as
current marshals without ensuring they know how to correctly inspect a
(currently) legal weapon!

Asbiorn

On 10 October 2012 12:24, Sean Hertzberg <colsith at gmail.com> wrote:
> The main issue for this change, from what I can see (remember, I am not the
> one proposing this, this is my personal take on it) has less to do with the
> fighters using it.  It is the lack of marshals that have ever seen one and
> would know what to look for to see if the blade in question is safe.  I will
> use Don Lorenzo as an example, my apologies if anyone is offended. :-)
>
> Don Lorenzo has been playing for around 5 years now.  He is now a WS, he is
> the southern regional marshal, he is an authorizing marshal...and I don't
> know if he has ever seen an epee or a foil, let alone if he would know how
> to inspect one.  That is just one example....how many marshals out there
> would look and an epee or foil and have no idea what they were supposed to
> do?  This is not a training issue, it is just that the newer marshals have
> never had a chance to see one as they show up so very rarely.
>
> Avery
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>>
>> What problem are you trying to fix?
>>
>> Are to trying to make sure that nobody can make you fight with an epee?
>> Already fixed. Nobody is making anybody fight with an epee.
>>
>> Are you trying to get epees off the field? That problem doesn’t exist.
>> They are already off the field, except for very rare circumstance between
>> consenting adults.
>>
>> How does the current rule hurt anybody or anything?
>>
>> Mateo said, “Change is never easy, but I see this as a welcome step
>> forward for our game.” How is it an improvement to our game when it wouldn’t
>> affect our game? Right now, nobody fights with epee because they prefer
>> rapier (myself included). The proposal is that we don’t get to make that
>> choice, and nobody will fight with epee because they aren’t allowed to. How
>> is that an improvement?
>>
>> The legality of epees has affected me only once in the last year or two. A
>> fighter from Bonwicke showed up at Steppes fencing practice with her
>> ten-year-old Ansteorran equipment, and wanted to fight. Since I had an epee
>> in my bag, I was able to fight with her. (And I’m glad we fought with epees.
>> Her blows were much too heavy, even with epees.) I worked with her with epee
>> for months, and last week she fenced with her new Del Tin in Queen’s. But
>> she was able to start with the weapon she knew.
>>
>> In my bag right now I have, besides the standard items, an epee, a foil, a
>> chainmail glove, a boffer beer mug, and two  parrying dagger scabbards. None
>> of these have been used as often as three times a year in the last few
>> years. The one I've used the most in the last few years is the epee. If
>> scarcity is a reason to ban something, then the more unusual things should
>> be banned first.
>>
>> In chivalric combat, any weapon legal in the SCA is legal in Ansteorra.
>> That means that if somebody comes here with their legal weapons, they can
> [...]

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

Publius Virgilius Maro - Aeneid