[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:13:51 PDT 2012

At 10:31 AM 10/10/2012, you wrote:
>Oh, I agree, most of my arguments are hypothetical, however, in the
>seven months I've now been in Bonwicke, I've seen epees out at least
>half a dozen times (having never seen them being used in the four
>years I was in Drachenwald!).  Several of those times were to allow
>interested passers-by try fencing a bit (and given how he handled an
>epee, I'm extremely glad that we didn't loan one of them anything
>heavier!), a couple of times, since we offered them as options for our
>Baroness to choose for us to fight with, they were chosen, and a
>couple of times they were for the benefit of those with either
>recurring arm problems, or arm/wrist-strength problems.
>
>Clearly your experience has been different!
>
>Asbiorn

Interesting. The last time I was in Bonwicke (this summer) nobody in
the list had a light blade. At Gothic War two or three years ago,
only one fighter had a light blade. But the last time I used a light
blade at an SCA event was at a Hellsgate (just up the road from Bryn
Gwlad) fighter practice about a year ago.

My initial reaction to Pug's proposed revision was agreement, but if,
as you say, light blades are still being used in some areas, then I
agree with Robin: if they're still SCA-legal (even if rare) then
there's no compelling reason to ban them in Ansteorra.

And for the record, I also have a mail glove in my bag that has been
used less frequently than my foil in the past five years.

         -Tivar Moondragon