[Ansteorra-rapier] Blade weights (was: Proposed revision to rapier rules)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:23:23 PDT 2012

At 09:37 AM 10/10/2012, you wrote:

(snip)

>It is possible to get a heavy rapier rig that will be just about the
>same weight and balance as an epee.  Check out the set up that HE
>Simone uses or HE Claire...both weigh less than my old epee.
>
>In Service,
>Avery

For the record:

Bare foil blade: 6 ounces
Bare epee blade: 7 ounces
Bare schlager blade: 9 ounces
Bare Del Tin blade: 14 ounces (note that this is a 42" blade, all the
others are 36"; I'm sure that extra length contributes to the greater
weight. If my math is accurate, a bare 36" Del Tin should weigh 10 oz.)

Usually it's the hilt that makes the "heavy" blades so much heavier
than the 'light" blades. But on the other hand, my schlager--with an
aluminum guard and 1/4" barstock quillon--actually weighs *less* than
my foil--with a steel bell guard and a massive Scotty Armory
quillon-and-knucklebow.

         -Tivar Mondragon