[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Brian O'hUilliam brianoftheloch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:52:47 PDT 2012

  I have to say that putting the burden on the fighter to find a competent
marshal and/or asking a fighter to "stand down" because the marshal is
unable to inspect a perfectly legal weapon is incredibly unfair.  If other
fighters choose not to fight against the epee, that is their decision.  I
also find the suggestion of dagger versus epee to be a woefully inadequate
solution.  Having a marshal tell someone that they cannot participate
because they are not familiar with a legal piece of equipment seems, to me
at least, foolish and contrary to the rules.
  And yes, I would say that a marshal who cannot inspect a weapon that is
legal according to our rules falls short of competent.  No offense intended
to those marshals who are not familiar with epee or foil, but if it's in
the rules, a marshal should at least be familiar with the weapon.
  I am neither for nor against this change, but if it's in the rules, it
must be permitted.  The marshallate should know how to handle a situation
that is perfectly permissible under the current rules.

Brian
Cadet to Don Brian MacCael
Eight more months until I am, once again, Ansteorra's problem