[Ansteorra-rapier] Why I don't want to ban things I don't particularly want to use

Puck Curtis puck.curtis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:27:47 PDT 2012

I don't see Tivar or Robin ever being persuaded to change their positions
on this issue.

That brings us to the the brass tax.
Is the political expense of getting rid of these vestigial weapon forms
worth it today?
In other words, is it worth doing over the objections of Tivar and Robin?

Is there any other question really?

~P.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Andrew Heinrich <andrew.heinrich at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The problem with this argument is that there's no major drive to bring
> Epee back into the main arena of SCA fencing. You mentioned the same gender
> consort comparison, but that's really not applicable here. In that case,
> you have people who see a very clear discriminatory bar to their achieving
> their dreams in the SCA. It's not like they can just choose someone else
> who inspires them the way their actual consort does. They can't learn to be
> straight. You *can* learn to use a heavy rapier.
>
> The difference between this situation and the comparison to rapier combat
> in general is that there is no groundswell of desire to play with epees and
> foils. Those weapons have died in the SCA. That's ok. If, for some reason,
> everyone stopped fighting rapier over the course of 15 years, there would
> be perfectly good reason to simply get rid of it as an activity.
>
> With precious few folks wanting to fence with epee and foil, it becomes
> unnecessary to maintain the infrastructure (rules, the marshallate's
> knowledge, etc) to support the use of those weapons. We can cut down on the
> number of authorizations we track, the categories we authorize in, the
> training our marshals need - this is a good thing.
>
> - Mateo
>

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
>

>> Some people are trying to change my mind by explaining why they have
>> concluded that epees and foils are inferior. This can't work, because my
>> argument is not based on the notion that they are as good as heavy rapiers.
>> For my purposes, they aren't
>>
>> What a lot of people haven't noticed is that I am not disagreeing with
>> your assessment of epees and foils - just with the idea that this provides
>> any reason to ban a safe weapon that a few people like to use.
>>
>> I've heard all of these arguments before:
>> They are poor simulators.
>> We have a better tool for combat.
>> Most places don't have competent marshals.
>> They don't fit your goals for the SCA.
>> They don't "look right".
>> Very few people want to use them.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> If I agreed that there is a single goal for the SCA,
>> if I agreed that everybody had to share that exact goal at that exact
>> intensity,
>> If I agreed in banning what some people use for their goals,
>> If I agreed that we should only use one simulator for combat,
>> If I agreed that the SCA throws out everything that doesn't "look right",
>> If I agreed that the marshallate should be the authenticity police
>> instead of the safety patrol,
>> Then, and only then, could I agree with the idea of banning them.
>>
>> Of course, if I, and others, agreed with all of that, then I, and others,
>> wouldn't have fought these arguments when they first came up, in the 1970s,
>> and fencing would have been banned from the SCA back then.

> [...]

“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”
Galileo Galilei

Spanish Swordplay
http://www.destreza.us/

Italian Swordplay