[Ansteorra-rapier] Concerning Rapier Authorizations

Kevin Wilson kevwilson at swbell.net
Mon Oct 15 12:46:35 PDT 2012

And right there is IMO the answer to everyone asking "who does it harm"?

First, you should not have been 'forced' to fight epee, since you had never been authorized for it. The fact it said you were on your card does not overwrite your personal experienced of never having handled one.  You should have been able to say "I'm not authorized for light rapier", and that should have ended it.  It doesn't matter if a marhsal made a mistake. The fact it happened this time means it can easily continue to happen.
Second, in fighting with said weapon for which you were unauthorized, you were a danger to your and your opponent. Please don't take this as an attack or anything personal, nor am I implying that you couldn't or didn't fight safely with it.  But from the POV of the marshallate, if you are not authorized to fight in it, you are considered *NOT* safe to use it. It is that cut & dry, that black and white. Due to assumptions and misunderstandings all due to the history of light rapier here, you were were compelled to break the rules. This should not be able to happen.
And Third, you shouldn't be forced into even having it on your card just because we have a history of assuming everyone is authorized for light rapier.

If we get drop epee and foil, this kind of thing CAN not happen.  No more 'assumed' authorizations for a form you may never have used or seen.  No more "everyone is assumed to be authorized for light rapier" BS.

Andreas, thank you for putting your information and history out here as an example. It's much appreciated.

Corvin