[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Don Simone Nicholls simone.nicholls at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 06:52:18 PDT 2012

Sorry, I've been lurking on this one.

Yes. They're dying. But as long as Tyvar, and Robin and Dorè (and a few of the MUCH smaller groups) keep them in their kits and say "Here, try this." New people are going to start with them. This is why they're STILL after all this time, on life support. Until they're explicitly written out of the rules in Kingdom, they WILL NOT go away.

There are a number of people out in the world that have been trying to get them written out of the Society rules for a very long time. Every time it comes up, the point is made that there are kingdoms out there that use them. If the Kingdoms get rid of them, changes at the Society level will be much easier. I've been told time and again that the ONLY reason that foils are still legal at Society level is because of, oh right, Ansteorra. Something about cold dead fingers... :)

Getting rid of epees is slightly trickier, as there are still a couple of other kingdoms that use them. There are similar efforts to get rid of them ongoing, but again, there's the "cold dead hands" issue, and the EXACT same arguments get trotted out elsewhere.

Until every barony and shire gets rid of their loaner F/Es, and people stop carrying them in their kits and trotting out the same excuses we've heard for decades, then this argument won't go away. Hell, as long as Tyvar and Robin get together once every couple of years at an event and swing a foil, someone can say, "They're still being used."

I love my friends, but really... Let's please bury this issue here.

Why is it important that this issue gets buried here? Because other kingdoms that cling to their epees point to Ansteorra as a beacon and say, "but Ansteorra still has them, that's where this started! If we should get rid of them, they would have done it." What happens to rapier in this kingdom has a significant impact on what happens in rapier throughout the Known World.

Pretty please... Let's relegate F/E to the noble history of the SCA, where they belong.

Simone