[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 05:01:08 PDT 2012

At 06:01 PM 10/10/2012, you wrote:

>Why do people drive a 1975 olds cutlass?

Because it still works? Because they like it? Why
should it matter to you, if they're not forcing
you to drive it? (and I don't think anyone has
said that people should be forced to use the lighter blades.)

>I dunno. Doesn't make much sense to me to use a
>weapon that over 90% of the kingdom (or many
>other kingdoms) doesn't even carry in their bags.

Of the 19 kingdoms of the SCA, 7 still allow
epees. To go back to your car analogy, I see very
few Lamborghinis or Maseratis around here. Should
we outlaw them, too, because they're so rare?

>I have heard price but a Hanwei or Alchem are
>very reasonably priced and will last way longer
>then a foil or épée with normal use.
>
>I have heard sportsmanship because some people
>think they will have an advantage over others with a light blade.
>
>Fear? Fear of hitting or being hit with a rapier v an épée or foil.
>
>Laziness?
>
>Poor training?
>
>Obama?
>
>Take your pick. But none of those are a good
>excuse to keep relics out of the museum of Sca rapier history.
>
>Pieter

How about inclusiveness? We've had several people
say that they *are* still seeing epees on the
rapier field. As such, it seems foolish to
disenfranchise those fighters just because you
think their weapons belong in a museum. Again,
nobody is forcing you to use these weapons, why
should you force your opinions on them?

         -Tivar Moondragon