[Ansteorra-rapier] Pros and Cons of change

Katy Hendrick pancua at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:50:10 PDT 2012

Tivar,

That isn't at all a fair comparison. You are comparing a dying art form to
one that is being born.

But for the sake of fact checking, there are twice the number of *active*
C&T fighters than there are F/E (34 in fact) and regularly schedules
tourneys for C&T as well as bouts being fought at the request of TRMs.

--Dena

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:

> At 09:24 AM 10/15/2012, you wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> To a certain extent it's a marshal issue, but that's not the failing of
>> the marshallate, it's a symptom of the reality of our game. We simply don't
>> use Epee or foil anymore in any real way. Every now and again it happens,
>> but it's statistically insignificant. Which means we have a generation of
>> marshals who just don't inspect epee or foil at all, and are probably not
>> up to speed on what to look for.
>>
>> We can approach this in one of two ways. We can see the reality on the
>> ground - that the epee and foil have died in the SCA, and change our rules
>> to reflect that reality. Or, we can go through a huge process of
>> retraining, recertification, etc, to make sure everyone who might inspect
>> an epee or foil knows how to do so despite the fact that they will almost
>> never have to do so at an event or practice.
>>
>> I like the former, obviously. I don't see any good reason to maintain the
>> infrastructure that supports foil an epee use when almost no one uses foils
>> or epee.
>>
>> - Mateo
>>

> Let's turn this around for a moment. There aren't all that many Cut &
> Thrust-authorized fighters, so maybe we shoud drop C&T, too. After all, If
> I'm not interested in it, nobody else should be either.
>
>         -Tivar Moondragon

In humble service to The Barony of  Bryn Gwlad,

Lady Magdelena "Dena" Cortez
MKA Katy Hendrick
Cell: 512-585-4172