[Ansteorra-textiles] horrible news

Reihla at aol.com Reihla at aol.com
Thu Aug 1 06:55:05 PDT 2002

I hate hearing your problem is with dogs.  Coyotes only kill sheep for food - generally only taking down one.  Dogs kill for the fun of it and, as has already been said, they don't stop until they are forced to (usually they must be destroyed).

I just thought I'd add my voice to those suggesting burros.  Guard dogs are by far the best method of predator control for sheep, but burros have been given great reviews in recent years (it should be noted that a majority lose interest in the job after a couple of years).

If you did decide to get a guard dog, I'd recommend a Great Pyrenees.  They were bred specifically to guard sheep and are so gentle when they aren't "working".  Plus, I'd give one Pyrenees pretty good odds in scraps against multiple other dogs.