[Ansteorra-textiles] some ideas

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 26 07:05:00 PDT 2002

I have been thinking of some areas that textile work could be encouraged
and thought we could talk about some of them.  See if you all think it
would be good.

A series of booklets about different types of textiles.   You know - period
knitting - some basic research, pictures of it within period, bibliography,
and maybe some projects -  a knitted reliquary bag, a Monmouth hat.  Or a
booklet on the silk industry in Lyon.  Or Inkle/card weaving patterns...
They booklets could be done very inexpensively and any profits could be
used for the Kingdom A&S office or for prizes for areas of textiles (you
knowGulf War or some thing.)

A Symposium on the textile arts and a history of textiles.  Could be a
separate event or a set of classes at King's College.

I read where a Barony in the East had drawn up their own version of the
Bayeux Tapestry and everyone worked on it.  It was like the mythic creation
of their Kingdom or Barony.  I remember seeing pictures of it.

A traveling display that emphasizes the textile arts that could be set up
at events.

I have been thinking that we could set up meeting much like the one at
Steppes and do some small workshops.  Nothing major and nothing
planned.  More like - hey I'm gonna be att his event and I can bring my
pots and we can natural dye outdoors....

What do you all think?

Clare