[Ansteorra-textiles] spinning wheels

Victoria Owens vmowens at airmail.net
Tue Jul 16 18:47:57 PDT 2002

Hi

> The Reeves wheels are supposed to be just great.  I thought I heard he (?) had stopped
> making wheels - hopefully that isn't true.

Unfortunately that appears to be true.  We bought ours 4 years ago.   I am used to making do
with crotchety antique wheels so it is just heavenly to work with.  Getting used to all the
different ratio options has taken some practice.

> I haven't heard of the Kromski's - what are they like and where are they being produced?

They are from Poland.  Go to http://www.thewoolery.com/kromski.html to see the 2 Kromski
wheels.  I really like the Polonaise.

> Regarding your Swiss castle, I've never tried a bobbin lead wheel - I'll bet that's a
> switch! How does it compare to double drive? Aren't the Loets bobbin leads, or am I
> imagining that?

I imagine it is much like spinning with a scotch tension.  With the double drive there is only
one way to do the fine tuning (I don't have any alternate whorls).  With the bobbin lead and
brake I've had to fiddle around to understand the type of changes that adjusting the brake vs.
raising the mother-of-all cause.  It works well spinning with the long draw method.

Yes the Louets are bobbin leads as well.

Cheers
Kestral