[Ansteorra-textiles] spinning wheels

Lael Portwood rlportwood at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 07:28:29 PDT 2002

I have an Ashford Traveller and I love it.  It's easy to use, lightweight,
and I like the built-in lazy kate.  It makes it easy to ply your spinning
off the bobbins. I have a single-treadle and like it just fine.
I purchased mine on ebay.  It was new in the box and I paid only $198 for
it.  They have quite a selection of spinning wheels that you might look at
just to get an idea of what's out there.
Another place to research wheels and fleece is the Woodland Woolworks
Spinners & Weavers catalog.  It's wonderful and has everything you need.
What I like about it is all the explanations it gives you on the products
and how they are used.  You can contact them at info at woolworks.com .
Also, if anyone's interested: In Early, Texas just east of Brownwood, there
is a place called Ranchman's Wool and Mohair.  Vallust and I stopped in
there on our way to Coronation and bought some beautiful mohair for just $3
a pound.  The gentleman who sold it to us mixed Texas, Michigan, and Montana
mohair for us (there was a definite difference between the three).  It was
great quality with just a bit of dirt and some veggie matter, and wonderful
long fibers.
He also had rambouillet fleece that was really nice.  I believe he was
selling that for $1 or $2 a pound.  So, if you happen to be passing through
Early, it might be worth your while to stop.
Ascelyn