[Ansteorra-textiles] textile judging

Robert and Beth Ellis killian at viptx.net
Wed Jun 19 16:46:48 PDT 2002

Nancy Wederstrandt wrote:

>   I thought I'd ask a couple of questions..
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about textile judging?   What works on
> displays?  Problems?

Hmmm....good question.  One of the problems I've heard stated (for years!)
about weaving is that it usually lacks the "wow" factor.  I would say rather,
that sometimes it can look...uninspired....to modern (dare I say jaded?)
eyes, unless good documentation is attached and the piece is displayed
creatively (which certainly works for other types of entries as well).  By
using the judging sheets as a guide for preparing documentation and then
getting the piece up off the table in display, even what appears to be the
plainest piece of weaving can hold it's own against entries of similar skill
level that are of another medium.   And before anybody scoffs (grin!) -
that's exactly what happened with an entry I took to Gulf War one year.  It
was a handwoven, handsewn outfit of (mostly) natural fleece colors, that was
basically a bunch of rectangles sewn together.  I documentated the heck out
of it and put it on a dress form, and ended up with exactly the same score as
a super-duper Elizabethan dress also entered in the competition.  If I had
done a half*** job of documenting it and then just thrown it flat on the
table, I seriously doubt it would have scored as well as it did.

What do other weavers think about this topic, and what have your experiences
been?
Corrinne