[Ansteorra-textiles] Re: Ansteorra-textiles digest, Vol 1 #21 - 2 msgs

Lady Eibhlin ladyeibhlin at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 12:43:36 PDT 2002

> Hmmm....good question.  One of the problems I've
> heard stated (for years!)
> about weaving is that it usually lacks the "wow"
> factor.  I would say rather,
> that sometimes it can look...uninspired....to modern
> (dare I say jaded?)
> eyes, unless good documentation is attached and the
> piece is displayed
> creatively (which certainly works for other types of
> entries as well).  By
> using the judging sheets as a guide for preparing
> documentation and then
> getting the piece up off the table in display, even
> what appears to be the
> plainest piece of weaving can hold it's own against
> entries of similar skill
> level that are of another medium.

I can only respond as a new weaver.  I understand well
the benefits of good documentation, but I do not know
much about display methods.

The mention of the dress on a dress form makes sense,
but what sort of display would one use to display
inkle weaving or weaving from a rigid heddle loom? I
have not entered a competition yet, but thought
documentation was the most important aspect.
If you spin the yarn, dye it with natural dye, and
weave it, and can document how closely to period the
methods are, isn't that enough?

A novice

=====
Per bend wavy azure and or, a natural dolphin niant embowed and a needle bendwise threaded counter-changed