[Ansteorra-textiles] An even tardier introduction...

Saar-rah al-Sabbirah alsabbirah at hotmail.com
Mon May 20 23:09:00 PDT 2002

Hi there!  I'm Shu'la and I'm in Bryn Gwlad.  I asked Clare to put me on the
list hoping it would get me back into weaving.  My mom in "real life" is a
professional weaver so I grew up with a lot of fiber arts...spinning,
felting, and lots of weaving.  My mom opened the first Glimakra weaving
school in the U.S., so I'm a big fan of Swedish techniques and looms.  I
have a little Pendleton floor loom but it is residing in Arizona at the
moment.  I'm terrible at drafting, threading and tie-ups (that's what Mom is
for!), but get me weaving and I'm very happy.  At the moment I'm mainly
doing embroidery and collecting of various textiles and fabrics (lots and
lots of collecting!).  I am really into Uzbek ikat lately.  I might bring
some new acquisitions to Steppes (if I don't get them made into garb first,
in which case I'll be the lady wearing the really loud ikat!).

Hope to meet those of you I don't know, and catch up with those of you I
already know!

-Saiida Saar-rah al-Sabbirah khaDraa' al-`ayn ad-Daar al-Libnee, called
Shu'la

"You will not be able to give anyone happiness by means of your wealth, so
do it by means of a cheerful countenance and good humor."

-The Prophet Muhammad in Qushayri: al-Risalat al-Qushayriyya