[Ansteorra-textiles] Introduction plus other stuff

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 16 17:02:33 PDT 2002

>Kestral, did you get your rare breeds from Walnut Ridge Farm?  I ordered
>about 50 fleece samples from them plus some bunny and bovine samples.

         I got the smaller sampler pack plus I got some random fiber from
her as well.  They are very nice and the sampler pack is truly great.
THere are some non-SCA fiber selling lists at yahoo.com, which I have
bought fleece from and I cannot recommend the quality enough.   I got a
Salish (types being developed by the Salish Indians of Washington) that is
totally beautiful and some funky multi-colored cross sheep.   As you can
see I'm getting into the fiber examination mode......
         You can also get fiber on e-bay but a word of caution -- you can
always ask people here what they think of a supplier.  I have found most of
them are very lovely friendly people who are generous with their fiber.
(Ask me and I'll tell you stories.)  I have gotten some fiber though that I
will not buy from that person again.  Still it's always entertaining.....

>Corrinne mentioned "In Sheep's Clothing."  Another good source is the
>magazine "Spin-Off."  They're a good source for a lot of things, actually,
>but they often have a large article every issue or so devoted to a
>particular flavor of fiber-producing entity.  I say it that way because they
>have articles on flax, cotton, qiviut, camelids, etc. - oh yeah and sheep.
>Lately I've been gathering the magazines and photocopying the articles to
>put in a separate binder, along with articles from the Oklahoma livestock
>site mentioned earlier today.  If I have it together by Steppes Warlord,
>I'll bring it.
>
>By the way, I'm running the classes at Steppes Warlord.  Audette has
>graciously agreed to teach a class on knitting, so if you'd like to learn,
>come to the class.  If there are enough of us at Steppes Warlord, maybe we
>can meet in the Hall sometime.  I certainly don't intend to step outside
>except possibly for some brief window-shopping during the day.  We could
>have a spin-in or something.

         Those are great ideas... I won't make it to Steppe's but if
somewhat wants to act as co-ordinator that would be great.  I will probably
be down for the Bjornsborg college because I want to learn njalbinding....
(a snazzy one-needle form of knitting).

  Menj (Otter) up here who I will be putting on the list though she doesn't
know it.... knows kumo-himo (japanese braid weaving and is going to be
teaching classes)  Her husband is going to be making looms and bobbins for
sale for the classes so I'll keep you informed....

Clare

who's happy as a clam everyone's excited.