[Ansteorra-textiles] Here's an idea.....

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 16:41:52 PST 2002

While cleaning out the garage in advance of having the family in for the holiday (due to small persons, all my delicate objects need a safe place to hide), I found some scraps left over from a project in another Kingdom.  So I thought I would ask if people here would like to do the same thing, which was to make Largesse Bags for the royalty to use when giving gifts.  Most specifically, it was one of the wars, the usual Royal presents.

I know the feedback was that the bags were much more welcome than the inevitable baskets.  (Yes, there was the year that Calontir gave wooden boxes to everybody, but they can be such overachievers! And we are not the woodworkers' guild.)  I forget the size, I think 8" by 10" or a useable area of 8" by 8".  People did all kinds of needlework, from weaving to knitting to embroidery.  It was a lovely variety.

Does anybody think we could offer to TRM2B to make bags to use for giving away largesse at Gulf Wars?  Is that too ambitious?  It might be a group thing, with someone doing yardage and others doing cords/tape, and a third group sewing and finishing.  Or everybody can do her own thing.

If people think it is OK, the thing to ask TRM2B is whether they want everything in Ansteorran colours (could work best for the group efforts version), or if they want each bag in the colours of the particular Kingdom (then we would have to work on our own).  Also size, in case they have some idea of what is going to be given, and possibly style - drawstring v. shoulder-pouch.

Thoughts, comments, insights, etc.?

                                ---= Morgan (not hiding the wheel)

"There is no problem so serious that it cannot be set
  right by a sensible woman in an afternoon."
                              (From "The Madwoman of Chaillot")
"We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces, saying
 'Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.' "
                ---= Willie Nelson and Toby Keith