[Ansteorra-textiles] Gift bags

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 27 05:53:13 PST 2002

> That said, I'd just like to mention that the bags my Royal mom (Gladwen)
> commissioned for Barn and I to give at Pennsic were INCREDIBLY POPULAR
with
> those who received them.  I loved mine and it was fun to see them on the
arm
> of all the other royals at Pennsic when they went shopping.

Thanks, Your Excellency.  Always nice to hear good stories.  About the socks
story, I remember a couple Gulf Wars ago when TRM Calontir included
hand-knitted socks of all kinds and colours in the gift baskets.  I think it
was when Edmund was King of the Midrealm and they even had one in
SuperExtraBig size for him!

> Just in case there are fiber people here from baronies, here's a few ideas
on
> things you can do to go in your barony's gift basket:  Naalbinding socks,
> homespun and dyed yarn, needlepoint designs or embroidered pieces that can
> decorate garb or belt pouches, handkerchiefs with handwoven lace (or
delicate
> embroidery), woven trim, even a small cross-stitch kit can be cool (and
save
> the life of that royal who got stuck  in meetings for the afternoon).

One of the reasons I thought of the Textiles Guild making a set of
somethings was as an informational and recruiting thing:  "Look at the cool
bags/whatevers made by the Textiles Guild!" "Textiles Guild?  Didn't know we
had one!  I do <fiber thing>, I should join them."

Or, a person walks by the group busily working and chatting at some Kingdom
event:
PWB:  "Hey, what are you making?"
Lady #1:  "We're the Textiles Guild, and we are making bags/needlecases for
the largesse baskets for <name a War>."
PWB:  "I didn't know we had a Textiles Guild!  But why is she spinning?"
Lady #2:  "I am one of the people who wove the fabric that is being used in
the <items>, so my part is done and I am back to spinning."
Lady #3:  "We are all contributing our talents in different ways - they are
sewing, while the two of us are fingerloop braiding the tie-cords.  This is
a skill that has been documented back to the 14th Century."
PWB:  "That looks weird but fun.  Is it hard to learn?"
Lady #4:  "Not at all; she just learned today.  Sit down and we will show
you how easy it is!"

There you go - the first hit of fiber.  <G>

                                    ---= Morgan

"There is no problem so serious that it cannot be set
  right by a sensible woman in an afternoon."
                              (From "The Madwoman of Chaillot")
"We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces, saying
 'Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.' "
                ---= Willie Nelson and Toby Keith