[Ansteorra-textiles] RE: wool fabric with lanolin

Deborah Wade Deborah.Wade at tpwd.state.tx.us
Sat Nov 30 11:06:20 PST 2002

The modern processing of wool is truly depressing.
First the sheep is sheered (generally the wool is still dirty and full of
burrs and other stuff) then the fleece is placed in a vented oven at a
temperature slightly below that of burning hair (I've forgotten the exact
numbers).  This process gives off a cyanide gas, singes the wool and causes
all of the plant material to fall out of the wool as ash.  The gas is from
the burning lanolin.  The wool is then scrubbed combed and spun.

After watching the entire process I knew exactly why commercial wools have a
less than pleasant texture.

Rhiannon