[Ansteorra-textiles] gift bags

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 26 07:33:33 PST 2002

> Even now one of my favorite presents was a pendant someone gave me because
> I said something in passing that had a profound effect on them looking at
> the SCA in a different way and wanted to thank me for it.

Yep.  I have a leather thong with a ring and a couple beads on it, for much
the same reason.  Means much more to me than many other items in my
collection.

> Anyway, just a thought.  Don't drop the topic Morgan!   I like the ideas
> and I have tons of stuff to make bags out of I'm just lazy.  If I knew
> others were doing it then I would no doubt do more!

Well......   We can collaborate with herbalists and make nice-smelling bags
to give away.  Being fiber people, we can fill them with sage and cedar and
lavender, to shoo away bugs.

If people have woven stuff and don't know what to do with it, or don't want
to take the time to make bags because it takes away from weaving <g>, then
some others can sew bags and it is a collaborative effort.

Needlecases are good, and very easy to make.  Either the book style or the
roll.  Hit one of the crafts stores when needles and pins are on sale, and
you get a lot of filling quickly.  All you need is a bit of ribbon or cord,
some pretty outer fabric, and the inside fabric which is usually flannel or
something like that.

If we get together at some event, we can sit and stitch and visit and get to
know each other.  Bags or needlecases would take only a couple hours to make
by hand.

                                ---= Morgan

"There is no problem so serious that it cannot be set
  right by a sensible woman in an afternoon."
                              (From "The Madwoman of Chaillot")
"We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces, saying
 'Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.' "
                ---= Willie Nelson and Toby Keith