[Ansteorra-textiles] Gift bags for Gulf War

Reihla at aol.com Reihla at aol.com
Tue Nov 26 11:22:29 PST 2002

Technically, the landeds provide "baskets" of stuff for their sponsored
kingdom at Gulf War.  Gift bags across the board would require group
coordination that we don't really have.  Plus, we petition for gifts from our
populace and, well, folks make what they want to make.

That said, I'd just like to mention that the bags my Royal mom (Gladwen)
commissioned for Barn and I to give at Pennsic were INCREDIBLY POPULAR with
those who received them.  I loved mine and it was fun to see them on the arm
of all the other royals at Pennsic when they went shopping.  Plus, the
receiving Crown knows someone cared enough to bother making something
special.

I can't speak for my landed cousins, but I wouldn't be offended if someone,
or a group of someones, wanted to make bags to be given at Gulf Wars in
addition to whatever the baronies provide.  I don't think the Crown would
mind having more cool stuff to give.

Just in case there are fiber people here from baronies, here's a few ideas on
things you can do to go in your barony's gift basket:  Naalbinding socks,
homespun and dyed yarn, needlepoint designs or embroidered pieces that can
decorate garb or belt pouches, handkerchiefs with handwoven lace (or delicate
embroidery), woven trim, even a small cross-stitch kit can be cool (and save
the life of that royal who got stuck  in meetings for the afternoon).  Simple
things are good too.  My favorite Pennsic gift was a pair of socks with a
small salamander painted on them.  The Queen of the Midrealm gave them in
honor of her late husband Jafar, who was always known for telling people to
pack an extra pair of socks.