[Ansteorra-textiles] new sheep at OCP

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 16 09:03:46 PDT 2002

>Greetings,
>
>I am currently playing with my first 'real' loom; a table-top,
>4-harness beauty that came without the instruction book.  After
>years of dabbling with a child's rigid heddle, 'craft' loom, I feel
>as though I've gone from a tricycle to a souped-up Austin Martin
>speedster. (GAAAHHHH!)  But I'm in love with it... now if I can ever
>get the heddle-levers figured out!

         You might go on line and look at the company who made it.  They
sometimes have on-line manuals or troubleshooting tips.  THat's how I got
the instructions for the small loom I have.

>Last month, our HomeMakers Guild had a class on drop spindles and
>everyone seemed to catch on ... except me.  Think I'll wait until I
>can 'acquire' a spinning wheel.  All I made was a mess!

         You should try to get up with Eleanor (who's on this list)  She's
a really good teacher on drop spinning.  And you are right.  Wheel spinning
is different from drop spinning.  I do both for different
reasons.  Watching Eleanor spin wool into sewing thread thickness on her
drop spindle is really impressive.

Wait until you see my knitting before you think spinners and weavers are
cool (grin).  I knit but in the struggle the knitting usually wins. (grin)>

Clare