[Ansteorra-textiles] King's college fiber track so far

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 14:01:38 PDT 2003

Hi, Esther:

> There are actually two types of horse hair -- the coarse, strong hair of
> the mane and tail, (most common), and the shorter, softer fibers from
their
> hides.
>
> Now, I know you know that! :-)) My question is, have you worked with both
> types?

I'll admit, I've mostly worked with the mane and tail hair.  There is an
easy way to test how well the hide hair would felt, and that is to attempt
it!  All you need is some hot water and soap.  Or, send me a couple of
handfuls, and I'll let you know in a week or so.  <g>

If the hair does not felt, it can be used to success for stuffing cushions
and such. This was very common into the early 20th Century, that I know of
(I've done 1850's and 1880's living history as well as SCA).

> What do you think? Is there any information on anyone using horse hair
> felt, like the Steppe nomads? (I'm looking, I'm looking.)

I think they used yak hair, which is long and soft.  Shall see where my
references went.  There might be some online, and if so, I'll post them
here.

Oh, great, have to do a research handout, not just a how-to!  <g>

                                    ---= Morgan

"Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived,
 stop thinking and go in."                     ---= Napoleon Bonaparte
"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake."
                                   ---= Jeannette Rankin (1880 - 1973)