[Ansteorra-textiles] King's college fiber track so far

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Thu Apr 24 13:35:32 PDT 2003

--
Morgan,

There are actually two types of horse hair -- the coarse, strong hair of
the mane and tail, (most common), and the shorter, softer fibers from their
hides.

Now, I know you know that! :-)) My question is, have you worked with both
types? If so, please tell me how they worked. Our kids are getting rid of
their winter coats, and this stuff is coming out in soft, wind-blowable
(and brush filling) chunks. That's what I was thinking might work into
felt, but only having a general idea at best of how to make felt, I could
be dead wrong. (The long winter hair is between an inch to three inches in
extrememes.)

Usually, horses are "clipped", but our kids are turned out, barefootin',
holistic hippy types, so they do have their natural hair. (We're not
showing, either.)

What do you think? Is there any information on anyone using horse hair
felt, like the Steppe nomads? (I'm looking, I'm looking.)

Esther

At 02:19 PM 4/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:

> > Have you ever done horse hair felt? And how much horse hair
> > would you need?  (Our horses are shedding off....)
>
>No, I have not, and I don't know how successful it would be.  Horse hair is
>fairly coarse; I have used it to make cord, and know it was used for
>stuffing, and that's about it.
>
>Does anybody else know about the feltability of horse hair?  I should think
>in theory it is possible, but I have worked mostly with shorter, softer
>fibers (sheep, bunnies, goats, etc.).
>
>                                         ---= Morgan

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.