[Ansteorra-textiles] spinning horse fluff, sheep shearing etc...

Victoria Owens vmowens at airmail.net
Thu Apr 24 17:37:15 PDT 2003

>We're going to give it a whirl -- and maybe a spin, too. I'll ask the SCA
spinning list about it. It may be one of those fibers that
> works best in some kind of combination.

I've blended our donkey fluff with our sheep wool and knitted hats and such
for our wagonmasters at the museum.  Remember most anything can be spun, now
it may not be easy to spin or produce anything pleasant but it can be spun
(my hair for example).  For those who feel adventurous get a couple of
palmetto fronds and boil them vigoursly then take (for example) 2 pencils and
place one over and one under the leaf, hold them tight and scrape off the
green stuff and tada spinnable fibers are underneath.  I've seen it done with
okra stalks as well.

Anybody want to come down to Old City Park and help wrangle sheep while I
shear?  The lambs are too cute trying to nurse while their moms are being
sheared.  I am planning on shearing weather permitting - tomorrow, Saturday
May 3rd, Saturday May 17th and one other weekday probably this month. Drop me
a line or give me a call if you'd like to come watch or help
vmowens at airmail.net or wk 214-421-5141 x113 or hm 972-394-6202.

Oh, did I mention I am a new mom?  Go to
http://www.oldcitypark.org/kestral.htm to see my boy,  I cut the umbillical
cord myself.

Cheers

Kestral