[Ansteorra-textiles] WWL workshop

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Tue Feb 25 13:17:20 PST 2003

I thought this was really a great idea.  I wish had the vacation time to
go, but hopefully they will offer it again.  Maybe one of you might be
interested in participating in this [probably once in a lifetime] experience.

-Jacinth-

From: Laurann Gilbertson <textiles at vesterheim.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:57:30 -0600

Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum is offering a Textile Study Tour to
Norway from June 19 to July 8, 2003.  The tour combines a 5-day weaving
workshop with touring museums and other textile-related sites in southern
Norway.  Three different weaving workshops are offered, the most special
of which is warp-weighted loom weaving.  Marta Kløve Juuhl from Arna
(Haus), Norway, is the only one in the country teaching the west-coast
style of weaving on a warp-weighted loom.  The west-coast style begins
with heading cord looped with warps yarns sewn directly onto the warp
beam.  The weaving progresses with a variety of patterns, some of which
require pick-up work with the hands.  The west-coast style weavings are
much more complex than the Sami-style "grene" weaving, which is
primarily stripes and kjerringtenner (old ladies' teeth).  Marta Hoffmann has
a chapter about this western Norway type in The Warp-Weighted Loom.

The workshop for the Vesterheim tour is a unique opportunity for weavers.
Students in Marta's 2003 workshop will weave a cradle blanket in
traditional patterns and materials.  Each student will work on a full-size
loom built to traditional standards.

The tour includes many stops related to rural Norwegian culture: local
museums, visits to weavers; stops related to Norway's commercial textile
history: textile mills, yarn spinneries; and stops focusing on contemporary
textiles.  WWL weavers will be especially interested in the stop at Osterøy
Museum where we will see warp-weighted looms and the textiles woven on
them.  At Hordamuseet, we will watch a documentary film that recorded
Berta Liarbø in the 1950s weaving a coverlet on a west-coast style warp-
weighted loom.  There will also be opportunities for participants to explore
their own interests.

A complete description of the WWL workshop and a tour itinerary can be
found on the museum webstite <www.vesterheim.org>.  The registration
deadline is March 20th.

Many thanks,
Laurann