[Ansteorra-textiles] question A&S

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 21:39:01 PDT 2003

Gerita,
  Please dive back in. It sounds like your event will be done well. One of the things I do at events is seek out comentary on my work. You do not always need to enter a competition to get it. Walk up to a Laurel, an Iris, even a Thistle and ask the to judge your work. Hand them a judging form or go through the form with them and aske them what you would have gotten in each area. Also, it is really good if you tell them the level of comentary you want back. Tell them if you really want it nit-picked to death. Sometime that is truely what you want. I have asked for that before and learned a ton. If my ego could have been bruised, I would have been crying from what I was told because it sounded like I did  a horible job, when infact, she had to nit-pick to show me my errors, and that was what I asked her to do...I learned a lot from that one. I also really agree that the artisan should talk with the judge. It makes a world of difference. Each and every time the judge has spoken with me,
 I have learned mounds. At the last event I judged at, while I was judging the husband of the artisan came by and said that the artisan wanted to talk with the judge, so I finished off the form and walked over to her and we talked for some time.
    Thank you for passing on your experience and taking the initiative to run a competition well.

your servant,
mahee

Gerita <hpockets at verizon.net> wrote:
Although this thread began as a question to a certain person, i'd like to jump in too!

I've entered exactly three competitions since returning to the SCA in 2000.  One was a Baronial title competition, the others were 'local' for smaller groups.  In all cases the same thing happened: I entered an item with full documentation (including where i varied from Period and why).  Judges came around, leaving trinkets, but no commentary or discussion.  There were no judging sheets in two cases.  In the third, the sheet was left entirely blank.  I have to add this:  i had not entered these competitions to win, but to benefit from Judges' opinions and impressions.  That made the 'loss' of comments rather serious for me.  Frankly, at this point, i've refused to enter any more competitions.
Unlike Morgan (who knows Lots of A&S skills!) I wasn't savaged by anyone, but felt entirely ignored.

So.  Now, i'm Autocratting Glaslyn's Artisan of the Flame next month.  I have tried to 'invite' judges who are willing to talk to entrants, or at the least give commentary in writing.  Judging sheets will be used for all scoring, and the entrants will be getting copies (if not on site, then by mail later).  There are several individuals judging, so that no one judge is stuck with all 4 categories and can take the time needed to do good face-to-face judging in the 2 or 3 they're doing.  I have hopes of this, Glaslyn's attempt to support the Arts and Sciences, will give encouragement to all entrants, including those in the "Title" category.    And in selecting For these characteristics in Judges, i sincerely hope we've also selected Out individual like the one who savaged Morgan all those years ago.  As my Mason husband says, 'So mote it be'.

So come on out - it could be a lot of fun!

Gerita

Gerita