[Ansteorra-textiles] Soay fiber (long)

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 3 08:44:17 PDT 2003

  Hi all:

A couple of years ago, in my curiosity I made an aquaintence with a woman
who raises SOay sheep.  Over her objections (lack of skill, insecurity of
quality) I got  her to sell me some Soay.  Soays do not produce much since
(read below) they are so small.  She now sends me fiber every year.  That
being said.... I may have extra fiber (not much)  I haven't pulled the bags
and cleaned them  if you want to buy some off me.  It's lovely, short fiber
that looks a little daunting to spin but I've done it.  You have to use
very short draft and very fine thread to make it work.   It needs cleaning
and each sheep usually produces less than a pound of useable fiber.  Below
is some info on them.

The hardy, little Soay sheep is a living relic of the Bronze Age and has
survived in isolation for at least a thousand years. It is the most
primitive breed of domestic sheep in Europe. Until the late 19th century it
was only found on the tiny, windswept island of Soay. Part of the St. Kilda
archipelago in the north Atlantic, Soay lies about 110 miles west of the
mainland of Scotland. It is not known precisely when the sheep arrived on
Soay, but evidence indicates it has certainly been there for 1000 years and
possibly as long as 3000 or more. Some theorize that it was abandoned by
the Vikings on their raids of the area. Beginning in the mid nineteenth
century, small numbers of sheep were captured and removed from Soay to the
Scottish Mainland. In 1932 a flock was taken from Soay to the neighboring
island of Hirta where its descendants remain today. Eventually sheep from
Scotland and Hirta made it into private hands and from those populations
have come the animals now found in the United States and Europe. While no
longer considered endangered by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust in the
United Kingdom, its numbers worldwide still remain very limited.
The breed has been imported to North America on only two occasions, both
late in the twentieth century and both to Canada; the first shipment in
1970 from Scotland and the second January 1990 from England. From Canada it
eventually made its way into the United States. Nearly all of the Soay in
the US today, however, originated with the first introduction. The only
exception is the RBST registered flock (USA0001) imported by Southern
Oregon Soay Farms. It was brought from Quebec province to the State of
Oregon between 1998 and 2000.
Historically the feral Soay sheep was used by the neighboring St. Kildans
for its wool, which was hand spun and woven into tweed. Once a year, during
the summer, the most nimble men of the village on Hirta were rowed to Soay.
Packing supplies to last a week or more, barefooted they scaled the shear
rock walls of the island which rose nearly perpendicularly from the sea.
The wool gathering was extremely hazardous work. Both man and sheep could
fall or be blown over the high cliffs into the ocean below. With the aid of
dogs, the animals were run down and caught. Their fleece (which is
naturally shed at this time of the year) was plucked and they were then
released. The collected wool was ferried back to Hirta where it was stored
until winter. During the long, inclement days of December and January it
was picked clean of debris, often by the children, carded at community
gatherings and divided among the households. The women spun it into yarn
which they used to knit gloves, socks, stockings and scarves. The men wove
the yarn into tweed cloth on very simple wooden looms. The resulting fabric
was used domestically for clothing, sold to summer tourists from the
mainland, and exported for sale in Scotland. For two months in the spring
nearly every man in the hamlet wove cloth. In 1930 the island of Hirta was
abandoned and the domestic sheep and cattle kept by the St. Kildans were
evacuated with them. Two years later 107 Soay were transferred from the
island of Soay to Hirta and for the first time the sheep inhabited both
islands. Today the offspring of these feral sheep still roam the isles of
St. Kilda, now a National Nature Reserve. On the mainland, a number of
farms presently raise Soay for its lean meat to supply restaurants and
accredited specialty butchers shops. It is also kept by petting zoos,
handspinners, organic farmers, and back yard hobbyists in Europe and North
America.
This unique animal is a direct link to our neolithic past and remains
important for the immunological contributions of its closed gene pool. Its
mere survival under the extraordinarily harsh conditions found on its 244
acre "iceberg" of wind, rock and weather has made it very hardy. Unlike
most domestic animals, the Soay sheep is not dependent on man for anything.

The Island of Soay lies beyond Mol Carn na Liana and the Cambir of Hirta,
110 miles west of the mainland of Scotland, August 2000

They are lovely animals - very deer like and delicate.  It has been
theorized that they are the ancestors of Nothern European domestic sheep

Clare