[Ansteorra-textiles] sheep!

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 9 09:40:53 PDT 2003

At 10:54 AM 7/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>LOL!!
>Knowing the name of the sheep is a neat idea - may even be Period, come to
>think of it, that is if they named their wool-producers.

         I think everyone who raises animals for reasons other than food
winds up calling their animals by a name, even spotty the big pig over
there.... same reasons that people call each other a name.  Period is good.

>Here's where i'm coming from:
>1. Trying to come up with a 'sample book' of dabs of raw fleece, and a bit
>of it spun, for my own edification.
>2.  Gathering fiber together for some projects later in the year with NCTFAG
>'classes', including felting and spinning and the like.

         Samples I can help you with.... I have tons and bits of things....
and partial bits of things.

One of the people I purchase fleece from sent me a sample board of all the
color variants in her flock to order by.  (If you think brown sheep is
brown sheep wait until you realize how much variation of brown there
is..... it's one reasons why Shetlands have so many different
classifications for color.... moorit, musket, shayeel, etc.

>Now then.  What are you trying to get rid of??

         None of it but I'll start going through and seeing what I have.  I
have some pretty odd things - mainly because I ask lots of questions about
their sheep.

I'm particularly fond of CVM and Romeldales (both modern breeds)  Jacobs,
Soay, Romney and Shetland (old European)  Navajo-Churro, Salish and Gulf
Coast Native (naturalized American).  I also hanker after California REds
and Tunis.....  Not that I refuse to try anything (right Kestral?) and I've
wound up with nasty Hampshire that I shared with  Eleanor (right Eleanor?)

I know I have Icelandic and Shetland.... let me get my list and if I can't
go I may send sample cards out......

Clare