[Ansteorra-textiles] spinning and weaving books

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 16 08:09:37 PDT 2003

>Who's got the new loom? Do tell! What all was missing/needed repair?

         Well, it's not new, Suvdchin is learning to weave four harness,
borrowed Otter's table top.  I wish you'd come to Austin to help her.  I
don't do four harness much and she thinks I know all the gory
details.  (sigh).  I did the best I could - looked over her loom and it
needed some maintenance work and such.  She bought the book you recommended
(hence the hint) and loves it.

>  Huh...don't know about the wonderful part.  I warped up my production inkle
>today to do several feet of trim, and the flat gold stuff I bought to do the
>brocading with didn't work right at all. I ripped it all out and now have to
>develop a Plan B.  Sigh.

         You are wonderful, I worship daily at the Corrine weaves and spins
altar.  As for boo-boos I've done some really wonderful boo-boos.  Like
over twist spinning and then deciding to use it anyway and wound up with a
weirdly stretchy muffler that does funny things.  Or the time I dyed wool
and thought I was getting one color and wound up with something like kitty
hairball color.  What really fixed it for me was that I left a sock in the
washer when I dyed and wound up with a sock to match. (just one.)

>As to good weaving books, my favorite for beginning weaving (and for reference
>forever after) is Chandler's Learn to Weave.  Great book - I think everybody
>should start with that one.

         I looked through the one Suvdchin got and I agree, totally nice book.

>  Right now my favorite fleece
>preparation book is Fournier and Fournier's In Sheeps Clothing.  I learned a
>lot of what F & F discuss the hard way - but it was nice to see it affirmed in
>their book. Wish I'd had it to start with.  By the way, that book deals
>primarily with fleece identification and preparation methods rather than
>spinning techniques.
         THis is one I wanted to get but haven't bought.... sigh

>  One book I haven't seen is the Alden Amos (or is it
>Amos Alden?) tome.  Anybody got an opinion on it?

         The web page I sent out a few weeks ago is his private
business.  It's called Dragonfly farms.  He's a wonderful wood worker.

         Haven't seen the book.  I learned by attending a class taught by a
woman from the Arkansas Museum up there.  I need to take a refressher
course so I can remember how to do long draw on the wheel.

         Clare