[Ansteorra-textiles] Slightly off-topic

sscott at datuma.com sscott at datuma.com
Fri Jun 20 08:10:39 PDT 2003

I am trying to track down a copy of a painting I saw in a book
several years ago.  It has a woman drop spinning in it, so I was
hoping that someone on this list might recognize a description.

It's from around 1500 and is called "The Holy Family," but it
actually depicts a carpenter and his wife and child.  He is on the
left-hand side of the picture, using a handplane at a workbench.  He
is wearing sky blue with something red (maybe a hat or hose; as I
said, it's been several years, and at the time I wasn't paying any
attention to the man's clothes).  His wife is standing to the right,
wearing a russet-brown dress with black cuffs and an apron.  She is
using a drop spindle.  The child is crawling around on the floor
collecting wood shavings in a basket.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I have searched the internet,
but without an artist's name, it's a little difficult to find
anything.  There are an awful lot of paintings called "The Holy
Family" out there, and if the book was old, the name of the painting
might have changed.

Gwenneth