[Ansteorra-textiles] get together

RAISYA at aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 05:01:38 PDT 2003

> I don't know if anyone has looked at the Fall Arts Symposium  that Loch
> Ruadh is hosting   there seems to be a great many classes on textiles and
> such.  I know I finally get to learn to spin on my navajo spindle thanks to
> Raisya's class she's going to offering (grin).
Actually, it's a short (15 - 30 minute) class on how to ply on the navajo spindle, but I can show you how to spin with it during some quiet moment during the day. Since the announcement doesn't list the details...

If interested, you'll need one ball of single ply yarn and a spindle - a Navajo type is more fun for this, but an ordinary spindle will work too. A medium to heavy spindle, either high or low whorl, drop or supported, will be fine. Light weight or high speed spindles may not work too well. The yarn can be almost anything as long as it isn't thin or very fuzzy, though I'd recommend a  medium weight wool yarn. I haven't tested this technique on linen or cotton...

> Anyway, I asked Jehanne if we could snag some meeting time to get together,
> visit and exchange ideas on formation of guild....  I will have fiber
> neatly bagged for sale and will consider trading... (barter always is a hit
> in my world.)  Jehanne said a small get-together would be
> nice.  Do we want
> to try it?
Sounds good to me, just let me know when and where, and I'll be there if I can.

Raisya