[Ansteorra-textiles] dye plants

Susan Scott sscott at datuma.com
Mon Sep 29 14:03:18 PDT 2003

> I am interested in anyone's experiences with gathering and dying with Texas
> native plants...
> 	Where you picked it, when , how you did it and what color you got from it.
> 	I'm researching the other bits and rather than go through every single
> plant and do it myself and willing to get help(grin).
>
> Clare
>
> PS> cochineal season is here.

I've got some information about various local plants, including
dandelions, bluebonnets, sunflower leaves, pecans, blackberry leaves,
these wretchedly tenacious burr plants in my backyard, those little
caterpillar-looking seed-thingies that fall from trees every spring
and cover everything, a few garden plants which were grown here but
are probably not native, etc.  I can try to compile it for you if you
like.

Do you know a good source for cochineal?  I haven't gone bug-picking
in several years.

While we're on the subject of dyes, has anyone ever tried dyeing with
alkanet root?  It's supposed to give reds, but all I get are very
pale grey-beiges.

Gwenneth