[Ansteorra-textiles] dye plants

Robert and Beth Ellis killian at viptx.net
Mon Sep 29 21:44:17 PDT 2003

Hi Clare -
Wild coreopsis grows all over the place in the spring, and it produces one of
my favorite natural dye colors - a beautiful rust that has a lot of "depth" to
it.  Last time we used it in a demonstration, we had premordanted the wool with
alum.  We used the whole plant (flowers and stems) and it only took a couple of
handfuls to dye 2 or 3 ounces of wool yarn.  The color transfer starts very
quickly.

And on to a delicate subject - as a state park employee I have to point out to
everyone that people are not allowed to collect anything (whether it's plants,
bugs, arrow points, etc) on state park property.  The only exception is if it's
to be used for scientific research (requiring a permit) or for things like
educational demos under the auspicies of the park staff.  It has to do with the
fact that parks are essentially resource/habitat sanctuaries, with whatever
exists on them being protected for the future.  It's a stewardship issue.
There are laws to enforce it, and people have gotten into legal trouble in the
past because they didn't know they were breaking the law.

Sorry to be such a drag, but I don't want any of you to get ticketed or hauled
off to the pokey!
Corrinne