[Ansteorra-textiles] Beads??

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 19 12:28:38 PDT 2004

At 02:17 PM 4/19/2004, you wrote:
>Gerita,
>
>That is great.  Thank you very much for passing it along.
>
>Annalies

It is a great article. (I'm a sucker for beads anyway and am always happy
to figure out or find out something new).

However, I don't think it's not really documentation for period usage of
shell beads. (and I know Gerita was being lighthearted).  Case in point...
gold granulation used in Etruscan goldwork was/is extremely beautiful but
the process was lost during the Middle Ages and Renaissance - at least the
way the Etruscans did it.)  Skills sometimes arose during one period and
went out of practise (skipping several centuries before
resurfacing.)   There are records of shells being used for jewelry work
during period (I can't think of any off the top of my head.)  I'd be
interested in seeing some of those if anyone has any.

          I'm sorry I sound picky but I thought I'd better clarify
it.  It's also my opinion and may be totally wrong as well. (grin).  I'd be
interested in what others think as well.

Clare