[Ansteorra-textiles] Re: roll call

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 19 13:28:34 PST 2004

>I washed some fleece samples and had to throw away one that had moth
>eggs/casings.  Now I've got to go through that big bag of smaller bags
>looking for infestations.  Grr.

         Umm, I don't do this (I'm umming me not you.)  Unless it's
horrible as in a bag of dog hair Barnwen O'B. gave me, I get moth casings
in not clean fleece.  I just wash it thoroughly in a strong stinky soap.
(Dr. Broner's eucalyptus is quite good for that) and very hot water.  Then
i air dry it in sunlight.  Sometimes I freeze it.  I check my fleece and
put it in sunlight quite a bit just to keep it aired out.   I don't rely on
freezing once and then throwing away.  I haven't had repeat offenders after
I do this.  In fact I'm currently spinning some fibers I treat with no
problems.

Speaking of soap, I got a fairly nice sample of cedar sandlewood soap that
cleans well and is very pungent smell wise.

>Also, I just bought fiber from a person who's getting rid of a lot of stuff
>she doesn't use anymore.  So, I got 2 or 3 kilos of Merino, a half pound-ish
>of Jacob, a half pound-ish of Icelandic, 6-8 ounces of Tussah and 2 ounces
>Bombyx painted in a colorway called 'Crocus'.  It's really pretty.  The best
>part is, it was all $25 dollars!  The painted silk alone cost that much; she
>still had the price and label inside the bag.  Yea!  Had to brag.

         I'm envious but happy it went to you and not me. (grin).  Sprang
huh.  Way cool.

  Gerita?  six classes - what are they about?

regards,

Clare