[Ansteorra-textiles] Fiber Blends

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 15:58:39 PST 2004

I've also seen fustian listed as a wool-linen blend...but I don't remember if the fiber was blended or if the warp was one fiber and the weft another...

in some early textiles they seemed to at times blend wool and other fibers like human hair or cattle hair to create specialty fibers...but I have not seen anything relating to the
blending of bast and animal fibers...

there's documentation for the fabrics where the warp was one fiber and the weft
another...especially tapestries and tablet woven bands...

Lorraine DeerSlayer

Audette des Grenouilles <audette at sapheron.org> wrote:
A thought struck me on my way home from the local yarn shop the other day...

We know that linen, cotton, silk, and wool were all known about and used in
period for various items.

But, what about blends? I've heard of fustian, which was explained to me as a
linen cotton blend.

I am curious mostly because I am contemplating a project of very fine knitting,
and while I know that using pure silk would be appropriate, I wonder if I could
get away with a silk wool blend... There are a number of reasons why, but cost
would be one of them. Alternatively, if anyone knows where I can get pure silk
to knit on size 000 needles for something approaching a reasonable price, I
would also be interested in hearing about that.

Thanks!

Audette