[Ansteorra-textiles] *sniff* A sad tale of looms being replaced...

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 30 09:40:03 PST 2004

At 10:12 AM 3/29/2004, you wrote:
>The New York Times has a story about a drapery mill that is having to "update"
>to modern looms to increase productivity and lower costs.  Up until now the
>weaving was done by artisans.

         If you ever detour on your way to Pennsic, go by the town of Berea
Kentucky.  THey have a weaving business that has been in continuous
operation since the 1850's  It was started as a way of single women who had
no home or prospect of marriage.  The same looms are in use and the way
they weave (it's done by a steam shuttle though it is hand done.) is really
neat to watch.  THe women weave patterns by memory.  You can watch them but
not talk to them.  I don't know if they are still intact... a few years ago
a tornado went through and leveled most of the town.
         I have a shawl I bought from them as a souvenir.  It's called
churchill weavers.

Thanks for the article.

Clare