[Ansteorra-Textiles] field trip

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 11 11:55:32 PDT 2005

This past weekend I was up in Fredericksburg and wandered over to the
StoneHill Weaving Shop.  What an incredibly nice shop.  It's a little off
the beaten track (across the street from the new HEB).  What a wealth of
treasures for people.

For the spinner, they have a variety of fiber, cottons, flax and silk as
well as quite a bit of Texas merino and mohair.  THey have a color of
cotton I haven't seen - sorta a flecked heathery blue.  They have your
basic top and bottom whorled spindles, wool and cotton carders as well as
several other bits of goodies.  I got about a half ounce of vegetable dyed
red merino and a top whorl spindle and tried it out.  They also have a ton
of knitting needling, felting supplies.  Cushing dyes, gaywool and I think
one more which I've forgotten. They have some nice cotton embroidery thread
(hand dyed).  One of their big interests are woolen latched rugs. (not the
kind with bits of yarn in over bright colors but the older wool stripped
latch rugs.  I almost convinced myself to try them out.  - sigh)  They have
a great selection of yarns (especially sock yarns) and some other bits of
textile lovers items.  If you are ever in Fredericksburg check them
out!  Plus the Fredericksburg Herb Farm is close to them and they have a
variety of plants, books and bits that are reasonable priced.

Bryn Gwlad has Hill Country Weavers  and Ginger's Needlearts which are
other nice places.  Perhaps I'll visit there and give you all another
report on both of them.

Clare.