[Ansteorra-Textiles] has anyone been here

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Wed Apr 20 12:40:14 PDT 2005

Another shop that I've only recently heard of from a new guild member here in
Bryn Gwlad is the Bluebonnet Yarn shop, up near Parmer and 1431 (_way_ up
north!)  She sounded thrilled with it, and I'm including below an online review
I found when trying to look them up online.  It sounds like a place I need to
check out.  :)  Here's hoping mom can put up with a visit to the yarn shop
while she's down here visiting me...

Anyhoo, here's the review I found:
March 31, 2005
New Yarn Shop in Central Texas!
What an exciting event!  There is a brand new yarn shop, only open about 8 days
in Cedar Park, Texas.  The Bluebonnet Yarn Shoppe is at the southeast
intersection of 1431 and Parmer Lane, in the HEB shopping center.  If you bank
at Bank of America, you're in luck, because there's one of those there too.
You can just make a big withdrawal and go on over to the Bluebonnet.

When we heard about the new shop on one of the lists I'm on, I was tasked with
going over for an inspection visit.  It was a pretty good drive, even from
North Austin, but it was well worth the time and effort.  The owner is Pat
Romohr, and she and her assistant, Jenny, were very welcoming to everyone who
came in the shop.  Pat and Jenny can be reached at 259-4646 and you can e-mail
Pat at ur2smile at aol.com.

The Bluebonnet is spacious and well-lit.  Pat has brought in some nice large
tables for classes and working groups, and best of all -- she bought cushioned
folding chairs.  As one who has worn out parts of their anatomy on metal
chairs, I consider that very thoughtful.  I'm sure she knows that avid knitters
will endure a lot of pain for yarn fixes, but she tried to make us comfortable,
anyway.

She is taking requests for classes, but already has a number of classes set up,
taught by Jenny, and others.  Jenny has some lovely beaded accessories that
really have to be seen to be appreciated, including some beautiful 24K gold
stitch markers.

The range of brands they are carrying is so large that I can hardly think of
them all:  Cascade's complete line, Regia, Cherry Hill, Karabella, Elspeth
Lavold (yarns and patterns), Debbie Bliss, Jaeger, Classic Elite, Sirdar --
really everything that you want to knit.  There is a good selection of
moderately priced yarns, as well, and the variety of yarns will please
traditional knitters and novelty knitters, alike.  She carries magazines, and
has a good initial selection of books.  Books and pattern brochures are a
tremendous investment for new shops, and many of them are seasonal, but Pat has
done a very good job of selecting some that will please a wide range of
knitters.  The stock of notions and knitting needles include Skacel, Bryspun,
Clover and others that are popular.

Really, there's a lot more -- like a full range of baby/children's yarns --
mohair, fru-fru, and even some of the new Bamboo.  I think if you are in the
Central Texas area and give them a visit, you'll think the time well spent.

nweders at mail.utexas.edu <nweders at mail.utexas.edu> said:
:this has caused me to think.
:
:Would anyone be interested in helping me create a list with all the textile
:shops in our areas so that when we visit someplace at an event or such we
:can go looking?  I know we have a really good thread/embroidery shop in
:Bryn Gwlad (Ginger's) and Hill Country Weaver's but I was unaware of the
:one in Georgetown.  ALso Kestral sometimes has fiber she seels to benefit
:Old City Park.
:
:Does any of us also sell fibers and such?
:
:What do you all think?
:
:CLare