[Ansteorra-Textiles] New to SCA making little girl outfit

Tricia Dyer dire_tricia at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 09:44:07 PST 2005

  Hi
  I am new to the SCA am in the Stargate area.
  I am starting a dress for my daughter who is 16 mos old (size 2T)
  I have a chemise I borrowed to make a pattern from.
  I have cut out a simplicity pattern
  That is a bodice with a connected skirt and apron
  The bodice is of a jacquard fabric and has a little faux lacing in the front to look like a real laced bodice
  The skirt I cut from a complementing cotton fabric and the apron I cut from a white eyelet cotton fabric

  The little apron I would like to smock however I do not know if this would be appropriate???
  <Note > I have never done any hand sewing or smocking before. I am an experienced machine seamstress and have only done hems by hand when absolutely necessary
  I have done cross stitch and other crafty kinds of things like crochet ect...
  I will probably machine sew the baby’s dress for expediencies sake but I would like to make it nice by smocking the apron.

  My persona is Irish. 14 century
  I have only made a T tunic and am currently hand sewing a simple overdress for myself which is my first Pattern free attempt.

  I have 2 Questions for the list..

  1.  Is smocking period and an appropriate detail?
  2. How do you make those seams kind of like French seams that I have seen on hand sewn chemises and the like?  They keep the fabric from fraying (I usually just serge)

  Cheers
  Éadaoin an Einigh inghean Roibeirt