[Ansteorra-Textiles] New to SCA making little girl outfit

Gail gailh at fanninelectric.com
Thu Dec 8 11:05:38 PST 2005

greetings,
  -----Original Message-----
  From: ansteorra-textiles-bounces+gailh=fanninelectric.com at ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-textiles-bounces+gailh=fanninelectric.com at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of Tricia Dyer
  Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:44 AM
  To: ansteorra-textiles at ansteorra.org
  Subject: [Ansteorra-Textiles] New to SCA making little girl outfit
  [Gail]
  I have no idea if smocking is period. I suspect it is, as it is a way of
gathering fabric while still making it strechy.

  1   how to make a french seam:
  pin the seam line together *wrong sides together, stitch a 1/4 inch seam.
Press it open, and fold the *right* sides together, making sure the seam
line is centered. Stitch a 3/8 inch seam, making sure you have the raw edges
enclosed and dethreaded  so that no little bits stick out.

  2   the easy way:
  sew your 5/8" seam. Press the seam open. Fold the raw edge in until it
meets the seam line, and press it down. (Be careful...it'll be hot) whip the
two folded edges together, catching the raw edge inside the new seam.

  3   go to fighter practice and get someone there to show you how. (this is
really the easiest)

  good fortune
  Galen

  Hi
  I am new to the SCA am in the Stargate area.
  I am starting a dress for my daughter who is 16 mos old (size 2T)
  I have a chemise I borrowed to make a pattern from.
  I have cut out a simplicity pattern
  That is a bodice with a connected skirt and apron
  The bodice is of a jacquard fabric and has a little faux lacing in the
front to look like a real laced bodice
  The skirt I cut from a complementing cotton fabric and the apron I cut
from a white eyelet cotton fabric

  The little apron I would like to smock however I do not know if this would
be appropriate???
  <Note > I have never done any hand sewing or smocking before. I am an
experienced machine seamstress and have only done hems by hand when
absolutely necessary
  I have done cross stitch and other crafty kinds of things like crochet
ect...
  I will probably machine sew the baby's dress for expediencies sake but I
would like to make it nice by smocking the apron.

  My persona is Irish. 14 century
  I have only made a T tunic and am currently hand sewing a simple overdress
for myself which is my first Pattern free attempt.

  I have 2 Questions for the list..

  1.  Is smocking period and an appropriate detail?
  2. How do you make those seams kind of like French seams that I have seen
on hand sewn! chemises and the like?  They keep the fabric from fraying (I
usually just serge)

  Cheers
  Éadaoin an Einigh inghean Roibeirt

  Yahoo! Shopping