[Ansteorra-Textiles] Re: Ansteorra-textiles Digest, Vol 21, Issue 8

Catalina Ana de Salamanca catalina at ravenkeep.org
Tue Jun 28 08:20:05 PDT 2005

> My comments are second hand and I have not had a chance to test it but...I was recently told after a failed linen weaving experiment that I should have kept my fibers wet to give them strength. They were dry and so broke more easily while weaving.  Again, these are untested by me second hand comments...so if someone can verify their accuracy or inaccuracy I would enjoy hearing.
>
> your servant,
> mahee

Yeppers, this one is true.When I spin or weave with linen I use a spray
bottle of water and keep a finger bowl nearby, for little touch ups.
I've also seen a few different herbal goops used, but I can't remember
the names off the top of my head. Let me hunt up that article.

BTW this was the reason many of the early textile mills were built using
water power. The owners would build the looms out of the river which
would keep the humidity high and prevent snapping. It also encouraged
rumatisum, arthritus, and pneumonia among the workers. Isn't fiber fun?:)
~Catalina