[Ansteorra-Textiles] Sprang

Carolle Ternus cternus at texas.net
Wed Mar 1 10:48:05 PST 2006

Sprang is an ancient and medieval technique for making stretchy fabric by
manipulating warp threads that are generally stretched on a frame of some
kind.  Extant pieces from our period are from ancient Scandinavian and
medieval Coptic eras.  It was/is also in use in the Americas, Eastern Europe
and India.  The simplest sprang is formed by wrapping warp threads around
each other, cause fabric to be formed both above and below the working line.
A common modern example of sprang is a chain linked fence.  If you trace the
line of one of the metal 'threads', you'll notice it wraps around its
neighboring 'thread,' first on one side, then the other.  It can be quite
colorful and complex.  Phiala has some good sprang articles at
http://www.stringpage.com/sprang/sprang1.html

Hope this helps.

Radegund