[Ansteorra-Textiles] Check - in

Highly Unlikely highly_unlikely at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:04:13 PST 2007

And a fine good morrow to thee!

  I am in Spring just northwest of Houston. Originaly from Memphis, Tennessee.

Cheers!

Joellen~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~When you have walked to the edge of all the light you know,And are about to step into the darkness of the unknown.....Faith is believing that one of two things will happen......There will be something to stand on, or you will be taughthow to fly.~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~ ~.~

From: gailh at fanninelectric.comTo: ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.orgDate: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:21:19 -0600Subject: Re: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Check - in

good morning, Joellen

thank you, for dropping me a note.  I've been interested in spinning for a long time, but lacked a teacher or the courage to just start trying to figure it out for myself.

I certainly can understand *why* people had so few clothes....they are a pain to make, when you have to start with plowing or lambing and finish up with hand stitching.

I'm in northern Steppes (Richardson...just north of Dallas)  where are you?

galen

(Gail)

-----Original Message-----From: ansteorra-textiles-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org [mailto:ansteorra-textiles-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Highly UnlikelySent: Monday, November 26, 2007 11:25 PMTo: Spinners, weavers, knitters and other Textile makers in AnsteorraSubject: Re: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Check - inHi Gail,   My name is Joellen and have been spinning about three years or so. I was hooked the moment I tried it. While my stash of fleeces and finished yarns stacked all over the bed room drives him crazy, he does tell other people what I do with a note of pride when he thinks I can't hear.   I started doing this as an outcropping of genealogical research of all things. I wanted to know why people had so few change of outfits unlike we do today. In my head I knew the answer but, being the person I am, I wanted a hands-on experience. It didn't take long for me to get the answer I was looking for and by then I was obsessed with fiber. I have been know to spin the cotton from medicine bottles if I am out of wool!   As I accumulated skiens, I realized there was no way I could ever crochet all the yarn I'd made. So now I put some of it on eBay, make gifts of it to my crochet and knitting friends, spin some of it as lace-weight and tight for those who enjoy tablet weaving, and even have a shop near-by who takes my offerings on consignment. I even left and information card with the local library. I've not had anyone want yarn from that source, but, I have taught four other people including a man how to spin.   Currently I am planning to make a couple of costumes, one medieval and one early american. As a request from a pre-kindergarten and first grade teacher to do a demonstration on the different kinds of wool and how the fiber was spun. I am looking forward to this. Who knows ? There might be one or two out there who want to try it! Love to talk about fiber! Joellen> From: gailh at fanninelectric.com> To: ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.org> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:53:33 -0600> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Check - in> > knit it, crochet it, weave it......first, you have to learn to spin it,> though> > galen> > some time in the future, I can learn to spin...............> > -----Original Message-----> From: ansteorra-textiles-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org> [mailto:ansteorra-textiles-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of> nweders at mail.utexas.edu> Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:36 AM> To: ansteorra-textiles at ansteorra.org> Subject: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Check - in> > > I realised it's been fairly quiet lately so I thought I'd update everyone> on what I've been doing.> > I would love to say a lot but currently I'm taking a printmaking course in> college and it's taking up a lot of my time.> > I have been washing fleeces. I finished cleaning a beautiful rusty brown> shetland fleece, I've had for a while. And I have to say I have a funny> story on myself. I was spinning a sample of this fiber that I thought I'd> washed - it was a really nice golden brown - with reddish highlights. I> thought what a great color - I won't have to dye it and it looks so> nice. After I finished my sample batch I stuck in in the bathtub to wash> it (and set the twist)..... well, sadly the beautiful color was colorant> from the sand that was in the fiber and it's a very nice slightly ivory> white. No VM but lots of sand and dust.> > I generally do a light wash to get out dirt and large VM but this was so> clean I guess I thought I had already done that with the fiber.> > This winter I plan on doing more spinning.> > My question is what does everyone do with the fiber that one spins?> > as always,> > Clare> > > _______________________________________________> Ansteorra-textiles mailing list> Ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/ansteorra-textiles-ansteorra.org> > _______________________________________________> Ansteorra-textiles mailing list> Ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/ansteorra-textiles-ansteorra.org

You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. Join in!