[Ansteorra-Textiles] Check-in

Highly Unlikely highly_unlikely at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 14:21:28 PST 2007

Funny how small the world is getting. I recently made my first pouch in Sprang and it is such a fun fiber technique. I had spinal surgery a couple of weeks ago so it will be a while before I can handle the Sprang cords again, but, by golly, I can still spin! I hope to Sprang a pair of leggings once I conquer the numbness. It seems to me that Vikings would have worn such things beneath the cross-gartered leather wraps on their legs. What do you think?

Joellen> From: clternus at sbcglobal.net> To: ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.org> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:14:58 -0600> Subject: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Check-in> > Hi from San Antonio,> > Joellen, have you ever thought about learning to weave? Wide pieces would > certainly eat up yarn stashes though narrow wares would, too. Making room > for a loom can be difficult, but there are sometimes places where you can > rent time and space on a loom. Just a thought.> > My mother lives in Spring, and I visit her a few times a year. I'll get her > to look around at resources.> > As for me checking in, I'm busy with school and the barony (Bjornsborg = San > Antonio). I'm in an ornament club, so I'm at least doing some sewing and > other crafty things for that. I got some new fiber at Kid 'n Ewe, so I'm > anxious to get back on the wheel.> > I'm looking to do an intro sprang class at Candlemas. Max # students is > 6-8, but if anyone is at Candlemas, stop in to see if there's room. If not, > I do get around and can always teach another time.> > Happy Holidays!> > > > > > > Message: 1> > Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:25:22 -0600> > From: Highly Unlikely <highly_unlikely at hotmail.com>> > Subject: Re: [Ansteorra-Textiles] Check - in> > To: "Spinners, weavers, knitters and other Textile makers in> > Ansteorra" <ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.org>> > Message-ID: <BAY120-W29BBE2DE11EB70B58A98E38E760 at phx.gbl>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"> >> >> > Hi Gail,> >> > My name is Joellen and have been spinning about three years or so. I was > > hooked the moment I tried it. While my stash of fleeces and finished yarns > > stacked all over the bed room drives him crazy, he does tell other people > > what I do with a note of pride when he thinks I can't hear.> >> > I started doing this as an outcropping of genealogical research of all > > things. I wanted to know why people had so few change of outfits unlike we > > do today. In my head I knew the answer but, being the person I am, I > > wanted a hands-on experience. It didn't take long for me to get the answer > > I was looking for and by then I was obsessed with fiber. I have been know > > to spin the cotton from medicine bottles if I am out of wool!> >> > As I accumulated skiens, I realized there was no way I could ever crochet > > all the yarn I'd made. So now I put some of it on eBay, make gifts of it > > to my crochet and knitting friends, spin some of it as lace-weight and > > tight for those who enjoy tablet weaving, and even have a shop near-by who > > takes my offerings on consignment. I even left and information card with > > the local library. I've not had anyone want yarn from that source, but, I > > have taught four other people including a man how to spin.> >> > Currently I am planning to make a couple of costumes, one medieval and > > one early american. As a request from a pre-kindergarten and first grade > > teacher to do a demonstration on the different kinds of wool and how the > > fiber was spun. I am looking forward to this. Who knows ? There might be > > one or two out there who want to try it!> >> > Love to talk about fiber!> >> > Joellen> > _______________________________________________> Ansteorra-textiles mailing list> Ansteorra-textiles at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/ansteorra-textiles-ansteorra.org