[Ansteorra-Textiles] Greetings and Questions

Fields Family Farm fields at texas.net
Sat Aug 21 22:25:57 PDT 2010

I realize that the 'clan tartan' think was dreamt up as a marketing gimmick
in modern times.  I've been told that the weavers in the clans wove what
they wanted, and if enough of the clan wore it, they could be recognized by
it, but that was about as 'clan tartan' as they got.

>From reading I'd gathered that a reed spaced the warp threads, but '10 dent'
wasn't obviously equivalent to 10 spots for thread per inch.

If I can build/buy/borrow a loom, I plan to start with a plain weave
pattern.  I tend to like my cloth simple.  Perhaps in the second loom I
build I'll put more 'shafts'.

As for whether I'll 'like' weaving yardage, I doubt that I'll be able to
tell from reading about it.  This seems like one of those activities that
one must do to find their own opinion.  Jogging, for example, sounds grand
when one reads about it - fresh air, a continually changing viewpoint, and
good health.  Cooking, on the other hand, sounds messy, imprecise, and
sweaty.  And yet, I dislike jogging, and I like cooking.

I anticipate that I'll end up with the Dorothy Parker view of weaving.  I'll
dislike the weaving, but I'll love having woven.

Hrethric/Rick