Bards - Welcome

Marlin Stout ldcharls at swbell.net
Wed Jan 5 05:57:52 PST 2000

jonwillowpel at juno.com wrote:

> Greetings Wayland
> I enjoy competitions. I like caught audiences. But I love bardic
> campfires. The problem is organization. In the old days we had lots of
> Bardic campfires because the bards organized them. We knew that if we
> wanted something we had to make it come true.  I am sure few of you have
> thought about it but someone has to contact the autocrat, set up the
> lights or fire and recruit enough performers to get it started and keep
> it going. In a good bardic fire a MC is a good idea to encourage
> performing when the circle gets sad or when a really good or a really bad
>  performer performs. Rugs and pillows are a nice idea for a pheasant
> performing circle. . If anyone was at 20th we had a fire that lasted from
> 11:30 to 5:30 Fir and one 11:30 to 3:30 Sat.  These circles were
> organized by performers  Things don't just happen people make them
> happen.

  I most heartily agree, Your Grace. One of the best bardic circles I've
seen in several years was the one hosted by Sir Kief at the last
Defender of the Fort in Raven's Fort. Kief had a large horn of mead,
which he passed around. If one wished to perform, you would wait till
the horn reached you, then make your performance. Each time around Kief
announced a theme for that round of performances. It was a very fun way
to run a circle, and kept any one performer from monopolizing it.
  Not to mention that you got to drink from the horn if you performed...
:)

Ld Charles
Bryn Gwlad